Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A little more about me.

Just want to start things off by saying HOORAY! for my favorite time of year.  I love spring in Texas.  The weather is perfect, the wildflowers are in bloom, we have the occasional "vengeance of the divine" thunderstorm, and business always starts hopping. 

I call the thunderstorms in Texas "vengeance of the divine" because when spring hits, the thunderstorm are of the nature to make you believe Texas is Sodom and Gomorrah and God is trying to take us down lol.
I LOVE thunderstorms.  How can a person not appreciate and stand in awe of their violent nature and massive amounts of power?  When I was a kid in the suburbs of Ft. Worth, I remember one thunderstorm that contained 100 m.p.h. straight line winds and destroyed not only the two willow trees in our front yard (one which narrowly missed my sister's bedroom) but  also blew a large train and all of it's cars off the tracks right across the street from my house.  You could see the train laying on it's side for as far as you could see.  It was impressive.  I really fell in love with Thunderstorms in college when I was in small town Nebraska.  Why?  Because Nebraska is soo flat you can see them coming for miles away.  You can sit at night and watch the lightning flare from across the grasslands of the Mid-West.  It's a very beautiful sight.  They also bring Tornadoes, which are a very terrifying yet amazing sight to see.  I chased a few of those around, and to watch them roll their path of destruction is like a horror movie that you can't stop watching.  It's awful but totally encapsulating at the same time.

As part of my job, I drive all across Texas.  I spend a lot of time in the hill country and if there's a prettier spring in the world I need to see it.  Rolling hills, a pallet of flowers that look like a form of impressionist painting, the rivers and streams, the cleft rocks jutting out of the earth, the large oak trees in a sea of flowers and grass, and 80 degrees and sunny.  Give me some iced tea and a blanket and I could stay out there all day.  Give me a fishing pole and a river, and you might never see me show up to work again.  Gruene/New Braunfels is my favorite part of the state during spring. When I see that I have work in the hill country I literally can't wait to get up at 4:00 so I can hit the road by 6:00 AM.  When I retire I'm seriously going to buy a tubing rental shop on the Guadeloupe river and spend my nights dancing in Gruene Hall.  Houston and Dallas aren't so bad in spring either.  I mean, in the DFW area you can go watch Ranger games and eat $1.00 hot dogs to your hearts content (which for me means one every half inning......seriously).  You also can go to Joe T Garcias and have fajitas and margaritas on the greatest patio restraunt in Texas.  There are tons of stuff to do all over Texas outside, and I love all of it.

I've always been a pretty outdoorsy type of guy.  I don't believe my mom ever had to tell me "Go outside and play" when I was a kid.  I do remember her telling me "It's entirely too hot to spend the hole day outside, you need to come in and cool down."   I still love running, biking, hiking, camping etc.  If you give me a choice between a five star meal or Mexican food on a patio? "I'll take your greasiest enchiladas and a house margarita please."  I love to fish, don't do it enough.  Love to camp, don't do that enough either.

Yup, this is me crawling a pier and beam home
As far as business, Houston has been a wild ride.  It's been up and down, and the work it takes to get a new store off the ground has been more than I could have ever imagined.  It's a good thing the guys in Dallas new that I had no idea what I was getting myself into when they asked me to move down here.  I wasn't our first employee, I was our second.  I was our only employee for a while, and now we have close to 25.  The first quarter of the year is always a tough one for us.  Cooler temperatures and rainy conditions bring about stable conditions, and occasionally the phones don't ring as much.  But when the weather heats up, and the trees come out of hibernation the houses start moving again and very quickly we have more than we can handle.  The foundation repair business is an amazing, constantly changing, very competitive and ever evolving industry.  It's a daily whirlwind and I love it.  I honestly do have a passion for this job, but that passion revolves around my inner most nature to help people.   I've always been a "helper", and in this job I'm not a seller of piers.  I'm a "fixer of people's homes."  That's the way I look at it.  I feel ethically and morally obligated to do what I can to help each and every person.  If we can help you, feel free to let me know.

You can call us here: 888.434.8232  
You can email us here evals@permapier.com
or you can click here to sign up for a free evaluation.
Or you can email me directly with any questions at: brian.gilchriest@permapier.com